The Town Hall

Radnica

The biggest secular construction of the castle area is the Town Hall (curia civitatis). It was built in the 14th century. At the beginning of the 15th and by the end of the 16th century, it went through various construction modifications. Stone portals and window linings have been preserved from the time of the first reconstruction, and Renaissance barrel vaults from the second one. At the end of the 19th century, the original five-story building was lowered by two floors as a result of structural disruptions, only the basement and the ground floor have remained. The Town Hall, being a part of the town walls, fulfilled apart from representative functions also a protective role. The Town Council held its meetings there until the year 1560. Currently, it holds the exposition of Baroque Plastic Art which presents statues from the decorations of two churches in Kremnica.