The Miners Bastion

The Miners Bastion was originally a semi-circular fortification bastion. In the second half of the 15th century, a polygon was built into it creating the presbytery of the Chapel of the Birth of the Virgin Mary. It was built around the year 1450 by a townsman called Langsfelder. A short rectangular aisle, foundations of which were uncovered by archaeological research, was added to it. It probably ceased to exist as early as in the 16th century, when it was readjusted to serve as a bastion again. The title of the Miners Bastion evokes the assumption that in the time of danger it was protected by miners.