Ossuary

Románsky karner

The Ossuary from the first half of the 14th century served two functions. The lower part of the site served as an ossuary and the upper part fulfilled the function of a chapel. Originally, the chapel was consecrated as St. Michael, later to St. Andrew. The letters AP (Andreas Patronus) in a sectroid under the mining hammers also document the patronage of St. Andrew.

The Ossuary is the oldest construction of the castle complex. It is vaulted by vaulting consisting of 6 parts with blocks of non-profiled ribs. The ribs meet in a hexagonal sectroid. The vaulting shows clear traces of sheeting. Since the area around the ossuary had been used from the very beginning as a burial place, the ossuary served as a place to store bones from nearby older graves. The upper floor of the chapel is vaulted by a 6-rib vaulting with a circular sectroid and mining hammers. The walls of the chapel are decorated with Gothic paintings showing themes from the life of St. Erasmus.

Above the doors leading to sacristy, the scene of the torture of St. Erasmus having his intestines pulled out and spiralled around a winch can be seen. On the right, there is a fragment of a beheading. Above it there is a scene of the torture of Erasmus in a pot and next to it Erasmus in front of the king. From the very upper left side towards the right, the following three scenes are depicted: a raven bringing food to Erasmus, Erasmus preaching to crowds and Erasmus in front of the king.

The chapel decoration also includes a non-identifiable female saint with a leafy palm branch that is situated next to the entrance portal, as well as eight fragments of consecration crosses stemming from the consecration in 1431.