• Home
    • The Town Castle

The Town Castle

Mestský hrad v Kremnici

The Town castle is accessible from Stefanikovo namestie. Its architectural design makes it an unusual monument of medieval settlement and fortification. It is a complex of buildings from the 13th to 15th centuries, protected by double fortifications. The Gothic church of St. Catharine, patron of the town, stands in the centre of the area. It has a Neo - Gothic interior. There is a statue of the Madonna from around 1500 on a side altar, and three Gothic statues of saints with a Baroque stone sculpture by Dionysius Stanetti to the rear of the nave. The Tuscan column of the pulpit is preserved from the Renaissance period, as is the font of rose marble, by the most important Kremnica medallist Kristof Fussel. The church is consecrated and used for religious services.

The castle area was fully restored in the years 1976 to 1996. During the restoration, a modern organ, one of the highest quality instruments in Slovakia, was installed in the church of St. Catharine. The organ is used not only during services, but also for concerts by leading organists and conservatoire students from Slovakia and abroad. The museum organizes a summer organ music festival known as The Kremnica Castle Organ, and Advent concerts as well. Apart from organ concerts the museum also organizes many other kinds of concerts (chamber, choir, and modern music).

Mestský hrad v Kremnici

In the 15th century, a free standing tower was added to the church, which is in a Renaissance form, and which dates from the fire in 1560. For centuries, watchmen occupied it to warn of danger. At present the room of the watchmen contains an exhibition and provides a fine view of the town and the surrounding hills. Visitors reach it by climbing 127 steps up a spiral staircase.