The first Baroque act in Kremnica was the reconstruction of the Gothic altar in the Church of St. Katarina in the area of the Town Castle. It was created following the mannerist spirit and represents a transition from Renaissance to Baroque. New mannerist plastic artworks were created in the workshop of a Kremnica carving master.

However, the most significant project was the reconstruction of the Gothic Church of the Virgin Mary on the square to a monumental church construction with colossal Baroque decorations. A stylish fountain and a plaque statue of St. Trinity were built later.

The most significant representative of Baroque in Kremnica was Dionýz Ignác Staneti and his workshop. A selection of plastic art presented in the premises of the Old Town Hall documents the beginning and the peak of the Baroque sculpture and carving artwork of the 18th century.

The first part of the exposition consists of six wooden (linden-tree wood) Baroque non-polychrome plastic arts by an unknown Kremnica master. They represent a selection of a series of 11 pieces preserved and stored in the collection fund of the museum. The origin and location of the exhibited saints – Catherine, Barbara, Pope Clement, Bishop Nicolaus, King Stephan and King Ladislaus – is documented by a historical picture of the altar taken directly prior to its demolition. The colossal altar to which these statues belonged was consecrated in 1715.

It decorated the sanctuary of the church for almost 200 years up to the reconstruction and regothisation of the church at the end of the 19th century. Within these modifications, it was replaced by a Neo-Gothic altar of St. Catherine which also nowadays forms part of the church interior.

The second part of the exposition represents a selection of plastic art from the demolished Church of the Virgin Mary situated on the square. Its author was the sculptor Dionýz I. Staneti. The statues are made of linden-tree wood and their entire surface is gold-plated – the bodies of statues are covered with golden powder, their clothing with golden leaves. From the artistic aspect, the most valuable are the statues of the church fathers St. Hieronymus and St. George.

St. Barbara
Wooden sculpture of St. Barbara,
Kremnica, about 1710
St. Catharine
Wooden sculpture of St. Catharine,
Kremnica, about 1710
St. Nicholas
Wooden sculpture of St. Nicholas,
Kremnica, about 1710
St. Clement
Wooden sculpture of St. Clement,
Kremnica, about 1710
Cardinal Hieronymus
Dionysius Stanetti: gilded wooden
sculpture of Cardinal Hieronymus,
about 1760
Pope Gregory
Dionysius Stanetti: gilded wooden
sculpture of Pope Gregory,
about 1760
We use cookies to operate the website and analyze traffic.